The Best Residential Electrician for Holiday Electrical Safety
A residential electrician provides a wide range of residential electrical and repair services. With the holiday season just around the corner, a residential electrician can help keep homeowners and their families in Lenexa, Kansas and surrounding communities safe from electrical hazards by offering a few tips when installing holiday lighting and decorations.
Choose the Right Lights
Holiday string lights and other decorative items are rated for indoor or outdoor use. Make sure you read the package instructions and use appropriately. DO NOT exceed the recommended wattage.
When to Replace
Always replace lights and other decorative electrical pieces if they show any damage. This includes the cords, plugs, ornaments, and string lights.
Overloaded electrical circuits can overheat and lead to electrical fires. Avoid plugging too many lights and decorations into a single outlet.
For outdoor lights and decorations, plug into Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI). Do not use designated indoor lights out of doors. Keep outdoor connections above-ground and out of puddles. Also, do not run wires across driveways or walkways.
Buy lights and holiday decorations that carry the official mark or label of an accredited certification or evaluation agency, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL). This mark indicates that the product has been independently inspected for safety. The appropriate approval sticker should be attached to the cord of light strings.
Ensure any extension cords are appropriate for intended use. Examine for fraying and burn spots, and discard if found. Do not overload an extension cord as it can trip the circuits. Do not run extension cords under carpets, through doorways, or in places where they can be damaged by furniture.
Do not remove the third prong on plugs – these are grounding pins that will prevent shock if there is an electrical equipment failure.
- For safety, do not connect more than three strings of lights. Check the manufacturer’s instructions for directions.
- Use appropriate clips for securing lights and decorations. Avoid staples and nails, which can damage electrical cords.
- Bulbs must not touch the cords, wires, cloth, paper, or any flammable material that is not part of the light itself.
- When installing lights outdoors on trees or when using a ladder, avoid overhead power lines.
- Holiday lighting and decorations are not intended for year-round use as they deteriorate over time. As soon as the holidays are over, take them down and store them properly.
- Take precautionary measures when using electrical holiday lights and decorations when small children and/or pets are present.
- Turn off all electrical lights and decorations when leaving your home or going to bed at night.
An All Current Electric certified residential electrician meets a high standard for qualification and is appropriately licensed and bonded. Homeowners in Overland Park, Shawnee, Lenexa, Prairie Village and Johnson & Wyandotte counties in Kansas; and Jackson, Platte, Cass and Clay counties in Missouri can be assured of only the best residential electrician providing their service.
Give All Current Electric a call 913-825-3506 or request an appointment using our online form. We offer special discount coupons on our website.