When Should I Hire An Electrician?
An electrician ensures your home’s electrical work is done right, according to code, ensuring you and your family’s safety. When a problem arises, you may be tempted to fix it yourself, and of course, if something isn’t working properly, it should be repaired or replaced. However, not all repairs involving electricity are simple fixes. You should hire an electrician to ensure the work is done the right way to prevent electric shock, fires and other mishaps.
You should hire an electrician for most electrical repairs, upgrades and remodeling projects. Some of the more common day-to-day jobs an electrician performs for Kansas City homeowners are:
- Move ceiling fans and lights
- Add new fixtures to panel box
- Add or extend an electrical circuit
- Add indoor or outdoor outlets
- Install GFCI outlets
- Install ground fault breaker
- Wire a 4-prong receptacle for a dryer
Even though you may feel as if these are electrical jobs you can take care of yourself, there are several important reasons why you should call an electrician.
- Permits and Inspections. In most cities in Jackson County, Missouri, and Johnson County, Kansas, most electrical work requires a permit, followed by an inspection by the local authority. While you can go to city hall and obtain a permit, and you can call and request an inspection when the job is done, it’s part of the job for an electrician. The approval (or disapproval) process can be frustrating, which you can avoid by having an electrician do your electrical work. Importantly, if the electrician does it, most likely the permit will get approved; and if not, it’s the electrician’s job to make it right.
- Knowledge & Skills. Typically, you would hire a professional to do the things you don’t know how to do, like fly a jet, repair your Humvee, or install a new roof – it should be no different when you need to hire an electrician. They know things you don’t, and they have the training and experience to do it. Even though it’s simple enough to replace an outlet cover, you’re getting into dangerous territory with other more complicated electrical work. Leave it to the pros is the best advice we can offer.
- Problem-solving: An electrician is better qualified than most homeowners to diagnose electrical problems. They can quickly find the problem and find the right solution, which saves you valuable time and money – both now and in the future.
- Guarantees. Electrician work is guaranteed by the employer.
- Safety. Ultimately, the main reason why you should hire an electrician is because of safety issues. If electrical work is done wrong, even a little bit, serious consequences can result. An electrical problem can cause shocks, fires, and other dangers if you do the work yourself without knowing the proper way to do it. Lethal injuries can occur due to household electrical accidents.
Any kind of electrical work can be dangerous, and without proper knowledge and skills, a seemingly minor issue can become hazardous. Even a minor mistake can cause a fire, or at the very least could shock someone. Hiring a professional electrician who has the appropriate training, skills, and experience is always the better choice than doing it yourself. Next time you have an electrical issue that needs attention, give us a call and we’ll get the job done right!
All Current Electric is proud to serve Johnson County & Wyandotte County in Kansas and Jackson, Platte, Cass and Clay counties in Missouri. the greater Kansas City area. We are professional certified electricians serving Kansas City KS, Kansas City MO and all cities in the greater metropolitan area: Blue Springs, Briarcliff, Fairway, Independence, Leawood, Lees Summit, Lenexa, Liberty, Merriam, Mission, Mission Hills, Olathe, Overland Park, Parkville, Prairie Village, Riverside, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Stanley and more! Contact us if you don’t see your area listed.
Serving the Kansas City metro for more than 20 years!